How to Grow Your Blog's Following // Session with Kate of See Kate Sew
One of the most common questions I've heard from my readers recently is "How do I grow my blog's following?" Great question, girl boss.
I've recently shared a lot of posts on how to prepare for your next shoot with your photographer. (If you missed any of them you can find them here.) However, since I've been hearing this question so much, I wanted to share steps I've taken to grow my following — and hopefully they'll help you grow yours.
This is by no means a definitive list, but here are steps I've taken to grow my following and readers since starting my blog and photography in 2011:
- Offer valuable content. Share blog posts that will help your readers or make their life better in some way. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking but it tends to make people want to come back to your blog and they might even tell other people about it. (Word of mouth is amazing, y'all.)
- Ask your readers what they want to learn from you. This is what I've recently started doing and it's so great to be able to actually know what you'd like to see rather than having to guess. Create a survey (like I did for free here through Survey Monkey), or better yet email them individually and ask.
- Be you. Don't try to emulate that blogger you're stalking or be the blogger or entrepreneur you think you need to be. Let us know the real you. This doesn't mean you have to share everything about your life, but don't be afraid to be who you are.
- Share high-quality and personalized images on your blog. You don't have to be the best photographer or even get in front of the camera for every post, but people like to connect with what's happening with you behind the scenes and get to know you. Customized images can help elevate your brand and make you stand apart from bloggers who are using generic stock photography.
- Guest post. Are there any blogs you could submit a post to? Make sure this blog or site has readers that would be interested in what you're blogging about — this way they'll be more likely to visit your blog after reading your article and just might subscribe to your blog, follow you or buy from you. :)
- Be consistent. This doesn't mean you have to post every day, but if you post one week and then wait two months to post again, your readers may not come back because they're not sure when you'll have new content. (I'm guilty of not posting consistently at times!) But you can always start fresh and start small.
- Start a conversation. I try to be active on social media and find new blogs to interact with when I can. Try just commenting on 5-10 blogs or Instagram photos a day, or interacting with people on Instagram or Facebook. This has helped me meet new people online (and eventually in person), and grow my readership after people learned more about me and my photography.
- Meet people! There's nothing like talking with people face to face. Ask them what they're passionate about and eventually you'll get to talk about what you're passionate about too. Mention your blog or business. Stay interested in them. Get yourself out there. People want to get to know you and hear about your blog or business.
- Don't give up. Seriously. Do you think your favorite blogger stopped after one post...when their mom was the only one who saw it? Be persistent and remember that you've got something invaluable to share with the world. :)
Now I'd love to share this shoot with Kate of See Kate Sew. Kate makes incredible pieces of clothing, accessories and patterns for her readers. Talk about serious value and incredible talent!
I'm sure there are some things I've left out — what would you add to the list? What have you been doing that's been growing your following? Leave a comment below!
Did you know I’m giving away a free Dallas-based shoot? If you haven’t entered yet you’re invited to do so here!